Photo #8


Clock from the Besserer Street post office in Ottawa

The Besserer Street post office was also known as Station A. It opened on November 11, 1936. Designed by Cecil Burgess, this building became Ottawa’s main post office where the mail was posted, sorted and delivered. Located close to Union Station, it was a postal terminal in direct contact with the rail service, and so it could receive mail and forward sorted mail quickly. Various architectural elements bear witness to the importance of this building as a main post office. Canadian Postal Museum, 1974.2165.5


Canada wordmark Created : June 3, 2000